USS Fremont APA-44

Attack Transport






Bayfield Class: USS Fremont APA-44 was launched 31 March 1943 by Ingalls Shipbuilding Corporation; Pascagoula, Mississippi; as Sea Corsair, sponsored by Mrs. W.R. Guest, placed in partial commission on 30 May 1943. On 11 June 1943, Fremont arrived at Bethlehem Steel's Key Highway Yards, and was decommissioned. Fremont was refitted for duty as a relief flagship.

On 23 November 1943 the ship was placed in full commission as USS Fremont APA-44 with Captain Clarence V. Conlan, USN as her first commanding officer. Mrs. Mary Casey, the wife of LTJG William R. Casey the ship's Dental Officer was a sponsor of the USS Fremont at the re-commissioning ceremony. All Attack Transport ships built at that time were named after Counties. Fremont was named after counties in Colorado, Idaho, Iowa and Wyoming.



USS Fremont Home Page | USS Fremont Specs | Ship's History | Ship's Bell | The War Diaries | Commanding Officers | Ship's Roster the 40's | Ship's Roster the 50's | Ship's Roster the 60's | Ship's Photo Album | Ship's Reunion | Deceased Shipmates |